Pages

Blog Archive

Tuesday 6 May 2014

The Importance of Art in Home Education

Just a quick post about the importance of art in our home education journey.  It was the forerunner to reading and writing for all of our children, teaching them to handle pencils and paper and to actively express what they wanted to.  As time has passed, it is still part of each of their lives but has become more personal to each, manifesting itself either in production or appreciation of works of drawing, sewing, sculpture, drama and photography.

Each child has their strengths and it is one of the luxuries of home education that you can indulge them in what they love doing.  Though I sometimes wish my youngest daughter's enthusiasm for sitting down and doing maths was as great as her love of arts and crafts, I just have to keep telling myself that this is home education and you play to your children's strengths for them to develop their individual personality and self confidence.  Her maths is fine but her art is wonderful - and that should be good enough for me.

Yesterday she (aged 10), who has always seemed to be the most inclined to draw/paint/mould/sculpt/sew, produced a simple but striking piece of work.  She uses several different styles depending on the subject matter but this was her very first using acrylics on canvas.  I have to add that it was because I stumbled across a super cheap source of prepared canvases in our local B&M Bargain store so if you live in the north west of England - make a beeline for it and buy some!  Four small squares for £2.99.

There is something about the style of this piece that just really appeals to me.  I love the character and pose of the lion - he has a lovely face.  Her choice of colours (she had to mix from primary colour tubes) is bright and cheerful.  She mixed and layered the paint as she learned how it behaved on the canvas.

Anyway, I just felt I had to share this on my blog.





No comments:

Post a Comment